Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Khorne Daemonkin, Chaos Space Marines, and You!

      Hello fellow heretics! Today i am going to be discussing Khorne Daemonkin and Chaos Space Marines. Together! I have been running a pretty powerful army at some ITC events, most recently ATC. First, let us look at the list:

   KDK:Formation: Fist Of Khorne 19x Berserkers, Berserker Champion w/ Axe of Khorne, Kharybdis Assault Claw

   KDK: Formation: Gorepack 5x Flesh hounds, 5x Flesh hounds, 5x Flesh hounds, 5x Flesh hounds 3x bikers, 3x bikers

 CSM: Combined arms detachment:   Kharn the Betrayer
                                                         Chaos Lord, Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Axe of Blind Fury
                                                         5x assault chaos space marines, Dreadclaw drop pod 
                                                         5x assault chaos space marines, Dreadclaw drop pod


       The idea of the list is simple. The Fist of Khorne and Kharns drop pod drop onto the table turn one, with the Flesh hounds and bikers starting on the table. The Fist is a strong alpha strike, as all the berserkers inside can disembark and assault turn one. As if that isnt enough for the enemy to think about, any vehicles or buildings the Kharybdis scatters on top of takes a strength D hit at AP1! I have rolled a "6" here and elimated Imperial Knights several times.
        Kharn also lands turn one as the Dreadclaws and Kharybdis follow drop pod assault rules. The difference is that his unit doesnt have to disembark! They are flyers and can flat out in the shooting phase, setting up a massive turn two assault with flesh hounds, Kharn, bikes, and berserkers (they should kill anything they assault turn one). The army completely controls the table from turn one forward. I threw the Jugger lord in to ride around with some flesh hounds and clean up after the rest of the army. Cant go wrong with 7+d6 S6 ap2 attacks on the charge.
        When i first put the list together, I had the ATC in mind. It's first real test was at an ITC event in Knoxville, Tn. I ended up winning the event, sweeping all three rounds. I also played some pretty competitive lists in practice games before giving the final decision to our team, Beer for the Beer God, that i was taking it. Individually the list went 5-1 at ATC, with pairings and results as follows:

                   Round 1- Vs Tau Empire Ghostkeel/Riptide/broadside intercepting spam. This game was brutal for me. Not the best match up, so i was already fighting an uphill battle. I lost this game to some hot dice from Kelly Wallace, who couldnt miss with overwatch. Coupled with the fact I couldnt make an armor save, he made quick work of me and i lost 20-0. Needless to say, it wasnt a good start to the tournament for the heretics. But the chaos gods had not left me completely.
                   Round 2- Vs 3 Renegade Knights + Heldrake Flyer Wing. This was a far better match up for me. His knights had 5 Gatlin cannons between them. I got the first turn in this one, and sadly the fist didnt scatter onto a knight. It did land perfectly between two of his knights, however, and i managed to assault two knights and tie them up. Kharn cleaned the knights up (s7 armourbane hitting on 2s with hatred) while the flesh hounds controlled the table. The heldrakes killed a few units, but it was too late as his knights were all dead turn 4. I won this game 18-2.
                   Round 3- Vs Daemonic Incursion of Tzeentch. This guy had tons and tons of psychic dice. Three heralds, fateweaver, tons of horrors, and 30 screamers. He had a good army, but ran into all kinds of match up problems against me. Almost my entire army had some kind of special rule that killed psykers. Worse for him is i rolled first turn, and he failed to seize. He set up in a corner of the table thinking he was safe, but the Fist dropped in turn one and multi assaulted two units of horrors and three units of screamers. He lost the combat by 7 and lost each unit to instability rolls, giving me 5 blood tithe points turn one. I tabled him turn 4, winning the game 20-0. Want to make a note this was one of my favorite games, because he was such a great guy.
                   Round 4- Vs Tau Riptide/Yvahrna/Stormsurge spam. We all have seen this list floating around, and it is a very hard list for any army to deal with. For the life of me, i cannot remember the guys name (he was with forge the narrative, a great group of guys). I ended up seizing the initiative this game and getting turn one. The Fist dropped in and ate intercepting fire from 3 riptides and a stormsurge. He killed 8 or so berserkers, and i had though that was going to win him the game, much like the first game vs Tau i had. I made my assault and the axe of khorne tore down one riptide as i chose not to multi assault the other two in his wing (this is a sound strategy chaos players, once they blew their intercept they wouldnt be able to fire at me on his turn, so i chose to ignore them and assault them next turn). I tied up the other riptides the rest of the game, he didnt get to fire them on his turn once. Kharn chopped down one Yvarhna but ended up getting stomped out by a stormsurge. This was by far the closest game of the tournament, and due to some crafty rolling he managed to steal the relic on turn 7 to narrow the gap. I won this game 11-9. Best game of the tournament.
                  Round 5- Orks with a big mek stompa and a shitload of bikes. This game was another classic bad match up for my opponent. The alpha strike from the pissed off berserkers took his warlord away on the top of turn one, and he never really recovered. Highlight of the game is when he assaulted Kharn (who was by himself due to dakka guns, with only one wound left) with a warboss and nob with power klaws. My only chance here was to eat his Nob in a challenge and heal a wound or two. Kharn issued the challenge and murdered the poor Nob easily, and i immediately rolled on the chaos boon table. To my opponents dismay i rolled a 66, turning Kharn into a demon prince and seperating him from combat, saving his life! Was an epic moment for the chaos gods. I won this game 20-0 as well.
                 Round 6- Final game was against the hated Space Wolves. He was running 10 wulfen, 15 thunderwolf cavalry, a wolf lord and a Lancer. I elected to let hm go first on hammer and anvil, parking myself 35 inches away on deployment so as not to get assaulted turn one by the wulfens special ability. He moved forward on his turn, and on my turn one the fist of khorne once again went to work, scattering directly on top of the lancer, giving it 3 hull points and landing next to some wulfen. They disembarked, and knowing he was going to kill the berserkers i assaulted them anyways because i needed them off the table. The 81 attacks killed all the wulfen, but his abiltiy to fight back on death killed 13 of my berserkers as well. I tied his lancer up with a unit of flesh hounds and Kharn finished it off turn 2, and the ensuing explosion killed off the rest of one of his cavalry units and one of my flesh hound units with my chaos lord in it. I ended up tabling him turn 4, which is gratifying for any Chaos player to table an imperial army. He was such great guy though. Won this game 20-0, bringing my totals for ATC to 5-1 and 89 points scored, which was the highest among Khorne Demonkin players (i think, we all got lumped in with demons so i didnt win best in that category, sadly) and i think one cabal CSM army placed higher than i did as well. It was overall a good tournament for me. ( I havent seen all f the overall results for individuals, so this may be off a little)
      So don't let anyone tell you that Chaos can't compete in today's meta. Check back with me soon I'll be doing a CSM and KDK tactica and codex rundown. Feel free to comment any questions!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
       


6 comments:

  1. Very fun looking list! I've always though fist of Khorne would be a great formation to use in tournaments but I'm not familiar with Chaos factions to put together a list to go with them. This seems perfect! I love how you have a strong alpha strike like an imoerial sm army, but unlike them, you have the mobility to score objectives as well. It's a deceptively flexible army.

    Grats on your 5-1 record at the ATC. Heard that it was a fairly hardcore event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The army has very good synergy. It's an incredibly fun list to play. It's very deceptive. Nobody ever sees it coming, until it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed!

      Looking forward to your CSM and KDK tactica.

      Delete
  3. I published one on CSM! Share with all of your groups and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I published one on CSM! Share with all of your groups and friends!

    ReplyDelete