Sunday, July 31, 2016

BAO Recap

With BAO happening two weekends ago for me, it is only fitting I finally give my recap on what I played, who I played against, and the overall feel of the tournament.  So lets begin.

So I played a double Cyclobia Cabal list with a Gorepack.  The Cyclobia Cabal comes from the Chaos Space Marine Black Legion book and the Gorepack is a formation that comes the Khorne Daemonkin Codex.  I had 3 sorcerers in each Cabal.  All with Mastery level 3 and and Spell Familiar on bikes.  Two in each Cabal had a power fist while the other sorcerers had a force sword and melta bomb.  In the Gorepack I had 2 20 man fleshhound squads with 3 sorcerers going in one and the other 3 in the other 20 man squad.  The two mandatory bike squads from Gorepack had no upgrades.  Alot of people asked me....that's it?? That is your entire army.  Yes and no.  With the 6 mastery level 3 sorcerers I had the ability to summon in daemons if I need be.  The trick was to get heralds of tzeentch out if need be and let them do the rest of the psychic summoning if need be.  But I really didnt need to summon all that much at BAO.

Round 1: Flyrants strike

Which was probably the worst match up for me during the entire tournament was about 7 flying Tyranid monstrous creatures.  The only thing I could do was to keep using my Cabal's special psychic power called shroud of deceit and shoot at them with my opponents other units.  It was a quick first game yet enjoyable.  My opponent buzzed around me and shot me with all his Tyranid goodies while I tried to flee.  Oh...if your wondering why I didnt buff my dogs with psychic shenanigans....well chaos didnt feel like giving me anything useful at all....I mean not even shrouding.....no plus one to invulnerable...nothing...

Round 2: Eldar....dirty dirty Eldar

So round two I played an opponent that had an Autarch on a bike, two scat pack squads, some warp spiders, a Skathatch Wraithknight, 2 Warp Hunters, and 4 hornets.  After explaining to him what my two Cabals can do with their shroud of deceit, my opponent elected to keep everything but his vehicles and a few warp spiders in reserve.  Including his Skathatch...which was probably smart......and then my dice decided to fail me....so top of turn 2...I made and epic multi charge with both dog squads...I had all of his hornets and all of his Warp hunters in cc with my dogs.  It was a nice charge..with about 5 dogs on each vehicle.....my dogs rolled to hit great....then came to wound...at str 5 and rear armor ten...I failed to put a single hull point on any of the vehicles....*sigh*  All was not lost...my opponents stuff came in from reserve but I still managed to stay in control of the game.  I was winning by holding the relic and we were neck and neck on maelstrom.  Turn 5 came around and he pulled away with the maelstrom but it looked like I had it with bonus objectives...well I made a dumb move and charged his wraithknight with my warlords dog unit...or what was left of it anyway.....he got some really lucky rolls on the stomp table...and killed my warlord.....that ended the game for me..and he won by a point.  was an awesome game vs. an awesome opponent.

Round 3:  The metal scourage

Round 3 was against and opponent I had played before in a local tournament and it is always fun playing this certain opponent.  He was playing Necrons with lots of warriors and a mini lychguard star.  It was bound to be bloody.  I managed to lock his lychstar in combat with one of my dog squads while the other went and wreaked havoc on the rest of his army.  By turn 4 I had enough blood tithe points to summon a blood thirster...so I did just that.  It was at that moment that my opponent surrendered to me knowing that he was going to lose.  Overall it was a great game.

Round 4:  Dante is a beast!!!

So round 4 was against a Blood Angels player who had some Dark Angel allies as well as a skyhammer added in.  We both played timid because we were worried about each other charging each other....so eventually my opponent decided he was going to bite the bullet and put his Dante star close to one of my dog stars.  My dogs pounced...my dogs ended up doing 21 wounds..............Dante....only took 2 wounds and lost a bike from his star.....I lost the game...end of story.....but really though...It was fun...blood went flying...Khorne was happy.

Round 5: The Cabal opened the Warp

Round 5 I played a Daemon/Ork army.  The Daemons consisted of a great unclean one, two daemon princes of nurgle with wings...and about 2 squads of pink horrors.  The orks had two traktor cannons and an imperial bunker with a warboss in mega armor and about 20 boyz.  He was trying to summon but with just the shear amount of warp dice I had he couldnt really summon much.  My dogs swept through his army so quick that it was looking dire for him.  His only hope was to go for the tie at the end and try and contest me on the primary and bonus objectives.  He tried to psychic shriek a dog squad but me denying the witch on 3's due to having a sorcerer with them and collar of khorne...and about 20 psychic dice...he couldnt get it off.  He needed to do that to kill one dog that was keeping him from contesting the objective.

Round 6:  Someone call the Imperial Guard???

Round 6 I played some Imperial guard with a Culexes Assassin....( I hate the Culexes)....There was an oopsy part in this game as I did not know his Earth Shaker cannons were vehicles as they were manned with troops so I used the Shroud of Deceit on them multiple times to fire with them.  The SoD rule states non vehicle units only.  So....ooops....I did use the earth shaker cannons to hit his Assassin and take it out....the game was close and in the end ended in a tie because I once again......gave up slay the warlord....

So overall I went 2-3-1 at BAO.  I felt that I couldve easily gone 5-1 at BAO if I had played the missions a little better and paid attention to what I was doing with my warlord.  I had a great experience at BAO and I definitely learned a lot.  I look forward to next years event as it should be another good one.  Go ahead and comment with questions, remarks...let me know what you think...if you went to BAO..how did you do?

~Beer Apostle~    

1 comment:

  1. That's a tough list to play with, seems like you'd be hard pressed against knights as well as fliers. Pure deathstars would be trouble too.

    I do applaud you for bringing something different to the table.

    I had tickets for the BAO, but I couldnt make it last minute. Seemed like a fun event though!

    ReplyDelete